Friday, January 2, 2009

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik

First sentence:

"It is cold."

Description:

"Enter the world of Little Bear. Children will be entranced by Little Bear's trip to the moon, his birthday party, and his wishes and adventures.

This is the first of the five classic books about Little Bear, introducing the funny and strikingly childlike bear cub and his friends. The combination of Else Holmelund Minarik's simple, yet eloquent, stories and Maurice Sendak's warm, tender illustrations have made this beloved character favorite among beginning readers."

My thoughts:

I read this book for the Childhood Favourites Reading Challenge. When I learned about this challenge, I immediately thought of this book. It was the first book I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart. I stood in the children's section of our local library today and read it, chuckling to myself as I read the text and enjoyed the pictures, especially of Little Bear and his "space helmet" made from a box and his mother surprising him and his friends with birthday cake!

Date read: 1/2/2009
Book #: 1
Challenge: Childhood Favourites Reading Challenge
Rating: 5*/5 = excellent
Genre: Children's literature

ISBN-10: 006024240X
ISBN-13: 9780060242404)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year: 1957
# of pages: 63
Binding: Hardcover
LibraryThing page

No comments: