Thursday, January 8, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - 1/8/2009




I decided this year I would participate in some weekly topics. Booking Through Thursday asks a weekly question about books and reading. This week's question:

"It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?"

Here's my answer:

A. A. Attansio. Wyvern.

This was a beautifully written epic story about life, death, love and self-discovery as Jaki Gefjon struggles to unite the teachings of both the jungle and the sea.

Harlan Ellison. Paingod and Other Delusions.

Ellison is one of my favorite authors. I picked up some new favorite short stories in this collection including "The Discarded," "Bright Eyes" and "Wanted in Surgery."

Jonathan Safran Foer. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

This was a very moving and complicated book about a boy trying to make sense of the world in his own unique way. I especially liked the alternating storylines between Oskar's search for the lock and his grandparent's experiences in World War II and afterwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of these either!

Carrie said...

I haven't heard of them either! Good to hear your thoughts on them. Thanks for sharing!