Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hell West and Crooked by Tom Cole

First sentence:

"I first saw the light of day in London, in 1906."

Description:

"Hell West and Crooked is the autobiographical account of a young Englishman's life in the Outback during the 1920s and 1930s, from his days as a drover and stationhand in the toughest country in Australia to his experiences as a buffalo shooter and crocodile hunter in the Northern Territory before the war."

My thoughts:

With a matter of fact style touched with humor, Cole writes about his life in northern Australia working with cows, horses, buffalo, and the many interesting people he meets. While I'm not usually interested in books about horses and cattle, I found that Cole's narration held my interest.

Date read: 2/16/2008
Book #: 10
Rating: 3*/5 = good
Genre: Autobiography

ISBN-10: 0732224039
ISBN-13: 9780732224035
Publisher: Collins
Year: 1988
# of Pages: 356
Binding: Trade Paperback
LibraryThing Page

1 comment:

Nikki in Niagara said...

This looks interesting. I love reading about cowboys, Australia and the 1920s. All three in one book sounds good to me. Thanks for the review.