Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

First sentence:

"The magic in that country was so thick and tenacious that it settled over the land like chalk-dust and over floors and shelves like slightly sticky plaster-dust."

Description:

"All the creatures of forest and field and riverbank knew the infant was special. She was the princess, spirited away from the evil fairy Pernicia on her name-day. But the curse was cast: Rosie was fated to prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and fall into a poisoned sleep -- a slumber from which no one would be able to rouse her. . . ."

My thoughts:

Robin McKinley does a wonderful job portraying the Sleeping Beauty/Briar Rose fairy tale in a fresh light. By delving into the people's attempt to thwart the evil fairy Pernicia, she expands the story so that when I got to the inevitable confrontation, I was rooting for Rosie and her friends, both human and animal.

Date read: 4/11/2009
Book #: 25
Challenge: 999 Challenge, Spring Reading Thing Challenge 2009
Rating: 4*/5 = great
Genre: Fantasy

ISBN-10: 0441008658
ISBN-13: 9780441008650
Publisher: Ace
Year: 2000
# of Pages: 354
Binding: Mass Market Paperback
LibraryThing Page

3 comments:

ibeeeg said...

I love Robin McKinley books.
Funny though...I have not read this one. I am going to read it now...on my TBR list it has gone.
Thanks for the review.

Nikki in Niagara said...

I loved this one too!

Kailana said...

I really liked this book! I need to read more McKinley... I have only read two or three at this point!