Thursday, May 17, 2007

An Audience of Chairs by Joan Clark

Description:

"Ever since her baby daughters were taken from her thirty years ago, Moranna 'Mad Mory' MacKenzie has lived alone, battling mental illness, in a Cape Breton farmhouse. But when Moranna learns that one of her long-lost daughters is to be married in Halifax, she is determined to attend. Will either of the daughters recognize her? Will they be happy to see her? And will Moranna stay sane enough not to cause a scene?"

My thoughts:

A moving story about a woman whose mental problems both enhance her life and inhibit it. I identified with Moranna's love for music and nature and wished that I could comfort her when her daughters were taken away - though I understood the reason. I cheered her progress in understanding herself and getting her life together.

Date read: 5/4/07
Book #: 36
Rating: 3* = good
Genre: Fiction

ISBN-10: 0676976565
ISBN-13: 978-0676976564
Publisher: Vintage Canada
Year: 2006
# of Pages: 368
Binding: Paperback

2 comments:

Booklogged said...

Krin, thanks for the suggestion. Sounds good and I'm adding it to my library list.

krin said...

You're welcome. I hope you have a fantastic trip!