Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 2015 - Part 1: The Memory Book; The Care and Management of Lies; Tell; Windfall

16. Memory Book by Harold Engel

My thoughts:

I enjoyed this mystery featuring Benny Cooperman. I picked this book to read after Engel's memoir, The Man Who Forgot How to Read, as the main character also developed the same condition, albeit under different circumstances (head injury (Cooperman) vs stroke (Engel)).  I liked how Engel had Cooperman not just struggle with reading and memory but also try to figure out why he was attacked and who did it. I look forward to reading other books in this series.


Date read: 8/5/2015
Series: Benny Cooperman, #11
Rating: 3*/5 = good
Genre: Mystery
LibraryThing page

17. The Care and Management of Lies by Jacqueline Winspear

My thoughts:

This was a good book about World War I, describing conditions both on the battlefield and at home.

Date read: 8/11/2015
Rating: 3*/5 = good
Genre: Historical Fiction
LibraryThing page

18. Tell by Frances Itani

My thoughts:

I enjoyed this sequel to Itani's book Deafening. Taking place after World War 1, the book brings to front the struggles of families dealing with men home from Europe with wounds, physical and mental.

Date read: 8/14/2015
Rating: 3*/5 = good
Genre: Fiction
LibraryThing page

19. Windfall by Rachel Caine

My thoughts:

I enjoyed this book featuring Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin as she negotiates her work and life among the Wardens and the Djinn. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Firestorm.

Date read: 8/17/2015
Series: Weather Warden, #4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
LibraryThing page


No comments: